git add file.js # stage the file git commit # commit the file
Frequently asked questions for git and git workflows.
This FAQ is brought to you by Candle.
- How do I add only a portion of a file?
- How do I change my last commit message?
- How do I change the contents of a commit I have not pushed?
- How do I commit a file?
- How do I compare branches?
- How do I completely reset my local repository?
- How do I create a branch?
- How do I create a new git repository?
- How do I delete a branch?
- How do I get a list of files that have changed since a commit?
- How do I ignore a file pattern?
- How do I push my changes?
- How do I remove all untracked files?
- How do I revert all uncommitted changes?
- How do I squash commits?
- How do I undo a commit?
- How do I undo git add?
- How do I update my repository?
- What does “Changing History” mean?
- What if I forgot to add a file in my last commit?
- What is “origin”?
- What is a “detached head”?
- What is a “remote”?
- What is difference between master & HEAD?
- What is local history/shared history?
- What is rebasing?
- What is squashing?
- What is the difference between fetch and pull?